Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Clinton, Obama, and Eminem and the Politics of Success

So the race for the ‘08 continues on to May, with the possibility of even reaching into June. While this isn’t much of a surprise to anyone, it continues to captivate the news cycles of the 24 hour networks and most local news.

It is democracy in action, showing the good and the bad of politics. There is plenty of good things coming out of this long primary season, there are more people than ever before showing up to vote and getting involved in the process, and its likely for the first time in years every single state will likely get a say in who the democratic candidate it. (Even Guam-ish voters actually count this year, their primary is on May 3, with four super important delegates at state.)

But its also showing the ugly side of politics. In the six weeks between the last primary and the Pennsylvania one, things became rather nasty, in this morning’s New York Times, the paper that pledged its support behind Clinton attacks her latest ad, which includes an image of Osama bin Laden. "Mrs. Clinton became the first Democratic candidate to wave the bloody shirt of 9/11," they write, adding that it is a tactic that is "torn right from Karl Rove’s playbook."

This follows the notorious and much parodied “Three a.m.” ad, and the rehashing of Pastor Jeremiah Wright’s anti-American sermons.
The paper goes on to spread the blame over to Barack Obama; saying "He is increasingly rising to Mrs. Clinton’s bait, undercutting his own claims that he is offering a higher more inclusive form of politics."

So is this the end of the Democratic Party? Will they simply tear themselves apart from within, and as Stephen Colbert calls it the coming democalypse?
However I think all this nastiness can only help the eventual candidate. You want to know why?

“8 Mile."

Yes that’s right 8 Mile the crappy Eminem movie. (Stay with me on this I know where I am going, I promise).

If you have or haven’t seen the film – its about an aspiring rap star played by Marshall Bruce Mathers III – who raps his was to success sort of. The final showdown is with the reigning underground rapper in a free styling competition.

Get ready and provide your own beat – this is what Eminem’s character Rabbit raps. (According to IMDB I don’t know it by heart I swear.)

“This man ain't no mother-f**in' MC / I know everything he's got to say against me / I am white, I am a f*ing bum / I do live in a trailer with my mom / My boy future is an Uncle Tom / I do got a dumb friend named Cheddar Bob / Who shoots himself in the leg with his own gun / I did get jumped by all six of you chumps / And Wink did f my girl / I'm still standing here screaming "F* the Free World."

So what does this profanity ridden rap have to do with Democratic politics?
It’s simple.

Clinton and Obama are using all they have on one another. Where Rev. Wright’s sermons could have ruined Obama at the polls in November, they are already out, apologized for – and by Election Day – will most likely be forgotten.

Clinton’s fake sniper fire story –it’s already out.

Obama’s drug use from his books? Done.

Crazy scum bag landlord? Dealt with.

The Return of Monica? Discussed.

So the Democrats just like Eminem are taking all of the bullets out of the Republican’s gun. There won’t be a bone of a skeleton left in the democratic candidate’s closet while John McCain’s closet will be bursting at the seams.

So just like in 8 Mile McCain will be left holding the mic speechless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home