Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Curious Incident of Walking the Dog in the Day-time.

So this is an unusual story that happened to me this past week.

I was walking my dog near my apartment, when someone drove by and yelled out FAG! And then drove off.

I had no response. At first I didn’t even think the comment was directed at me. Though I realized I was the only one on the street.

So I was shocked. First because I am not gay, nor do I understand why walking my dog would make me gay.

At the outset this seems like an outright case of unprovoked homophobia.

The incident struck me as so odd I decided to think about it a little more.

First I do live a block away from the Lavender Heights area of Sacramento, which as you may guess from the name is the gay area.

Second I was walking my dog, which isn’t a Great Dane, Pit Bull, Bull dog or Lab. It is a tiny full-grown female two pound Yorkie Terrier.

Third she did have a bandanna, bow in her hair, and her nails were painted since she just came from the groomers.

So with this added information a 20 something man is walking down the street in a gay neighborhood, walking a tiny lap dog with painted nails ribbons and bows at about seven in the morning. So I guess I did look like a stereotypical gay.

So maybe the folks in the pickup thought it was an astute deduction, instead of a random slur.

Just goes to show you looks can be deceiving which is especially true around here on drag nights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home